Wednesday 24 July 2013

Indie Video Game Highlight: Neverending Nightmares


                                The most frightening trailer ever 

Matt Gilgenbach might not be a familiar name to most gamers out there, myself included, but when I was browsing through the inter webs I was automatically drawn to this game. The trailer above was the first I had seen of the game and I was automatically left in a catatonic state wondering what the hell I had just witnessed. Everything about this game is morbid, bleak and and numbing; seems fitting seeing as the game was based on Matt's Gilgenbach's own struggle with obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression.

The game starts as the player awakens from a nightmare, only to discover that he has been transported into another hellish dream. The plot reminds me of Inception but with a lot more horrifying themes and gore. Seeing that the game is set in a dream world, I would like to think that players would be kept on edge as the unexpected could always occur at any given moment. As of yet there are no concrete details about the gameplay but as seen in the trailer the game is played in 2D fashion which we all know and love. Also, the game appears to be an open world style game where exploration will be a key component of the experience (kind of a recurring trend in indie horror games). Allegedly,  the players action during the game will effect the ending of the game thus adding replay ability value.

As you all may know by know, I am a huge proponent of good art in video games. This game has a unique art style which scares the crap out of me. Just images of the game causes me to hear dissonant sounds akin to the cacophony of horror soundtracks. It goes without saying that this game will have mature themes and will not be suitable for the faint hearted. More details should be out soon, as Infinitap Games are really keen on open development (sharing updates with it's fans). Visit the game page here to keep up to date on the progress of the game if you are interested.

This is Alex Plum and this has been your Indie Game Highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment