Friday 21 June 2013

Opinion: XBOX 180

Personally, I've never been exposed to Microsoft's Xbox console as much as I would have liked. I think for me the biggest regret of not investing into it was not being able to experience the exclusive Halo franchise. While I haven't had to time to meet the Xbox's incredible online services and interface, it never occurred to me that I was "missing out."

This year introduced the long awaited next generation of consoles and content, and at the beginning I wasn't sure if I'd remain with Sony's PlayStation line of consoles. After watching both companies reveal their respective next-gen consoles, content and Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) conferences, it was absolutely clear I would be staying with Sony.

While the Xbox One was ambitious in its forthcomingness, I believed it was a little ahead of its time. It dreamed of a connected and persistent digital future. Unfortunately, in the present we are surrounded by tons of people without internet connections and while many are connected, these connections aren't full-proof. Asking consumers to connect every 24 hours to be able to access the content they paid for had its benefits, but ultimately denied them access to their money's worth should any interruptions in connectivity occur. Furthermore, the ability to trade-in, lend, resell, gift and rent games are huge part of gaming culture. While they had not outright eliminated this facet, the online and digital system they were going to use would bring many difficulties. Another point I'd like to bring up is that majority of the great features at launch won't be available to me because I don't reside in the United States.

These features only pushed me further away from the Xbox One, and I can only imagine how alienated Xbox fans feel.

A few days ago Microsoft came around and changed its policy on used game restrictions and online check-ins to refresh licenses. No longer will consumers be required to be connected to play offline Xbox One games (excluding a one-time system set-up after console purchase). Microsoft has abolished its 24 hour connection requirements as well. There will also be no limitations to using and sharing games, much like today. Digital games can be played offline without internet connections, and games will have no regional restrictions -- being able to be played on any Xbox One console. However digital titles cannot be shared or resold.

These changes are refreshing and I'm glad that they're listening to their vocal community to produce a top-notch next-gen console. While this also impacts some of the scenarios they've previously announced, I'm certain they'll figure it out before launch.

Will I remain a PlayStation fan boy? Maybe. There's still time before the Xbox One launches in November later this year.

Bernt Toast is a writer at The Ops Centre. He is currently creeping around Infected and hoodlums in The Last of Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment